Dave laid out a few ground rules for getting big bargains. The one that he stressed the most was the importance of having integrity. "You cannot have healthy relationships and build wealth with lies as your foundation," he said. I love that this class on finances is build on a strong foundation of Christian values.
When it comes to making good deals, Dave's lucky seven basic rules of negotiating are:
1. Always tell the absolute truth.One of my favorite personal finance bloggers, Steve Stewart, recently posted about how saying no is a great negotiating technique. Check out his blog post and video on MoneyPlan SOS.
2. Use the power of cash because it is emotional, visual and has immediacy.
3. Understand and use "walk away power."
4. Shut up! (Take the time to listen and wait.)
5. Remember to use the phrase, "That's not good enough."
6. Watch out for the good guy, bad guy techniques some retailers will use.
7. Use the "If I" take away technique. (Stating, "If I do this, you need to do ______ for me.)
Altoona/Pleasant Hill facebook group.