Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Looking at My Goals for 2013


At the beginning of this month I shared several goals I had for myself in order for you to help keep me accountable.  I have appreciated those who have asked how I have been doing in different areas of my life.  Today I am going to reflect on my goals and update you on my progress.  

Social Wellness 
"In 2013 I plan on expanding my social networking community on facebook.  One of my goals is to reach at least 100 likes on the Brown's Balanced Life facebook page in order to gain a little viral traction and a platform to help others. "
UPDATE: I have already met this goal and am currently at 103 "likes".  I will continue to work on helping others throughout the rest of 2013 and hope to see this number continue to grow. 
Financial Wellness 
By the end of 2013, we would like to pay off over 20% of the current outstanding debt on our house.  To do this we will need to continue to work together with our finances  find more opportunities to earn and save more money.  We have also considered looking at selling our house, since we probably have a larger house then we really need. 
UPDATE:  We are on pace to be able to do this with paying 2.2% of the principal of our mortgage in January. 
Occupational Wellness 
One of my goals this year is to have portfolios prepared for every one of my students showing their specific progress based on the Humanities IB-MYP Objectives for 6th grade.  In order to do this, I will need to continue to stay organized and make sure to be given specific and meaningful feedback on all major assessments throughout the year. 
UPDATE:  We completed another IB assessment this month and I was able to grade them, provide written feedback and get them organized in their portfolios in a timely manner.  We will have at least 3 or 4 more assessments this school year.  Looking back, this goal is more of a school year goal then a goal for all of 2013.  
Physical Wellness 
I have many physical wellness goals this year.  One of my goals is to participate in an organized run/race every month of 2013.  Another one of my goals is to complete the entire week of RAGBRAI in July. 
UPDATE:  I completed my January run.  I am also registered for my February (Red Flannel Run), March (Look the Lake 8K), and April (Springtime Hill Climb) runs.  I am waiting to look at my options during May, June and July because I know there will be multiple races to choose from every weekend.  Today I also finished the registration process to be an official rider for all of RAGBRAI this year. 
Environmental Wellness 
One of my goals in 2013 is for William to complete the "Leave No Trace" requirements for cub scouts to learn the importance of taking care of our environment. We will work with William to learn to be intentional with doing things outdoors and indoors to help protect our planet. 
UPDATE:  We have completed some of the requirements along with William working toward his Tiger Cub badge.  We will be getting more intentional on focusing on the rest of the requirements in February. 
Intellectual Wellness 
In 2012, I completed 82 books.  My goal for 2013 is to read at least 100.  Several of my friends were able to meet this goal.  As Charlie Jones said, "Five years from today, you will be the same person that you are today, except for the books you read and the people you meet."  I want to read some good books, so that I can be a better person five years from now. 
UPDATE:  I have currently read 17 books in 2013 and am working on several other ones.  I am ahead of the pace needed to meet my goal right now by 7 books.  I  know there will be busier times coming up with conferences, meetings and other family commitments. 
Emotional Wellness 
I will continue to blog about my throughs and feelings at least once a week throughout 2013. I will also post additional content on my blog's facebook page 
A friend shared a great idea on facebook that our family has decided to put into action in 2013.  We will be keeping a "Good News Jar" to write notes of all the good things happening this year to open up and read on December 31st, 2013.   
UPDATE:  I have continued to update my blog at least twice a week in 2013 (normally Sunday and Wednesday) so have kept with my goal of posting at least weekly.  Our family has also been using the "Good News Jar", but I have not been writing as many notes as I could.  I plan to increase my note writing in February. 
Spiritual Wellness 
After finishing reading the Bible again in 2012, I plan on starting over in 2013.  In addition to reading the Bible, I will be using Tony Dungy's The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge for my personal quiet time in 2013.  Another spiritual wellness goal of mine for 2013 is to begin weekly devotionals as a family at least 5 days a week using Bruce Wilkinson's Family Walk.
UPDATE:  I have been doing a good job of getting my personal quiet devotional and Bible reading time in.  We started strong as a family doing our daily devotionals, but as Anna has started her Master's Degree we have not done as good of a job at being intentional on doing our family devotionals in during those opportunities that the three of us are together.  I will recommit to making this a priority the rest of 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment