Monday, July 23, 2012

Balanced Life Update

This will be a quick update on each of the 5 strands of wellness I committed to focus on when beginning this blog.

Intellectual
I have read lots of books this summer and continue to work on challenging my thinking through various parenting, marriage, and financial themed books. I am currently The Me I Want to Be: Becoming God's Best Version of You by John Ortberg that was recommended by my father-in-law and working through a book by Frank and P. Bunny Wilson titled The Master's Degree: Taking Your Marriage to the Next Level with Anna.

Spiritual
This month Anna and I have have been participating in a small group study with other young adults from our church entitled "Twisting the Truth" led by Andy Stanley. We have really enjoyed the conversations with other young people about some pretty deep issues. The study has already challenged my thinking in several areas. In addition to this I have continued my personal reading through The Bible with Daily Audio Bible and reading the Bible each night with William. I have also begun the 40 day independent study of The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren.


Emotional
I have been working on putting a lot of what I am reading in my devotions and the other books into practice to make life a lot more fulfilling. I have been working on enjoying the time I have here on Earth with my family and friends.

Physical
I have participated in a couple of endurance races this summer that I have posted here. I have recommitted myself to making it to Kosama every day I can after being out of the state for 3 weeks. I am currently training for the Green Run, a 10K in September, and the Des Moines 1/2 marathon in October. Next week I will be riding in RAGBRAI for two days starting in Marshalltown and finishing in Anamosa.

Social
We have had many opportunity to relax and hangout with family and friends including going to birthday parties, weddings, etc. This is the area I know I am probably weakest on so far this summer and hope to be able to take advantage of the few weeks we still have left of summer to get together with some friends. If you are interested in getting together sometime let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment