I keep asking myself what does this mean? What can I do as a person, a parent or a teacher? There really is nothing we can do to to fix the past, but as we look to the future we need to try to make the world the kind of place that we want our children to live in. I may write more about this later, but right now I think we just need to pray for the 20 students and the 6 adults who were senselessly killed yesterday and their family/friends and the rest of the school community.
Some resources that I have found are listed below. Please share other ones that people could use personally, parents could use to help their children or teachers could use to help their schools.
- Dealing with a National Crisis Tips for Parents/Schools
- Helping Your Children Manage Distress
- Here for Each Other by Sesame Street
- Talking to Kids About Sensitive Topics
- Talking to Kids About News
- AAP Resources
- NEA School Crisis Guide
- CNN Student News - Impact Your World