Thursday, November 15, 2012

Meeting the Challenge

Calling the 21 day challenge a "challenge" may be an understatement.  I never thought I complained much, but I have proved myself wrong.  I wanted to give an update on the 21 complaint free day challenge has been going.  I have made it to 9 days once before letting a complaint slip.  I have recommitted several times and am currently working on day 5 again.  I am going to make it.  Thank you for those who have helped encourage me and kept me accountable.

One of the major reasons that I started this blog was to keep myself accountable to live a balanced life.  I originally wrote created it with the ideas of balancing the areas of wellness (spiritual, physical, emotional, social and intellectual).  When talking about areas of wellness many people have different definitions and include various strands.  

Here is a list of 8 strands that I will be working on in the future from the University of Michigan
Social Wellness focuses on how you choose to define and connect with your community and the people around you.
Financial Wellness is your relationship with money and skills in managing resources, as well as your ability to make good consumer choices and seek out appropriate financial opportunities.
Occupational Wellness is the work you choose to do and how you feel it contributes to your community and fulfills you.
Physical Wellness refers to the role that you take in maintaining your body for strength, vitality and energy.
Environmental Wellness reflects the impact you have on the planet and the impact the planet has on you.
Intellectual Wellness means feeling stimulated and engaged with learning and staying open to new ideas and perspectives.
Emotional Wellness are the actions you take in response to your feelings, being at peace with who you are, and the tools you need to weather life's ups and downs.
Spiritual Wellness refers to your understanding of your place and purpose, how you make meaning of what happens to you, and what your mind goes to for comfort or relief.

I will be trying to continue to improve in each of these areas while trying to become the kind of man (person, husband, father, teacher, and friend) that God created me to be. I will do this by setting goals in each area and allowing others to keep me accountable.  Tomorrow night I will post a goal for each dimension of wellness for the remainder of 2012. Please continue to challenge me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment