Friday, November 23, 2012

Practical Education for Children


This is my final post sharing the insights I had after reading Patrick Morley's books (The Man in the MirrorThe Seven Seasons of the Man in the Mirror and The Dad in the Mirror).  This information was mainly in The Dad in the Mirror.  Patrick Morley shared with his readers how the Book of Proverbs is a great instruction manual for parents to teach their children practical (and moral) education.  Some of my favorite verses he shared were:

  • Don't talk to much (Proverbs 10:19)
  • Think before you speak (Proverbs 13:3)
  • Be careful who you hang out with (Proverbs 13:20)
  • Use gentle words rather than harsh ones (Proverbs 15:1)
  • Try to understand others before asking them to understand you (Proverbs 18:13)
  • Be fair and honest in your work (Proverbs 11:11)
  • Be big enough to let the "little ones" go (Proverbs 12:16)
  • Dont cosign someone else's debt (Proverbs 11:13)
A suggestion that Patrick had for his readers and I have for mine is to join me in the next month to read 1 Proverb a day with your child(ren) and discuss it's message.  I think this could be an experience to help us as parents and your children to learn more about how God wants us to live our lives.  There are 31 days in the month of December so it would be a perfect time to start.  I think I will be taking the rest of November to read through the Proverbs again myself and be prepared to share my insights with my son. 

No comments:

Post a Comment